Zugschwang - "a compulsion to move"

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Crossroads...


I've been in IT since 1998. In the 7 years that i've been in IT, I have witnessed
the so called technology explosion. Millions of software with similar or identical functionalities abound. Platform choice of businesses shifting from one to the other. Different ways, different technologies available to service a particular need.

I am once again in the crossroad of choosing which technology to invest my time in. I say invest simply because if its a dead-end pursuit, time is simply wasted and nothing substantial is gained or a stalemate at best.

A choice between going for breadth vs depth. Do I become better in my specialization or do i branch out ? If i do branch out which technology ? Xml ? Java ? Linux ? Datawarehousing ? Believe me when i say the choice is endless and confusing. As of the moment, Everything seems to be attractive at my end.

I wish i have an elder Jedi guiding me.. "Choose wisely my young padawan".

Only now do i fully understand the saying "Time is gold".

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Sassafras said…

    I see the chess influence still pervades this post.... :)

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    found this blog from sassymoon. welcome to the blogging world.

    actually i have the same problem as you. i am a powerbuilder programmer and now i want to cross train to either .net or java. haven't decided yet. but i'm more inclined to go MS way. my guess is that that's where the future still lies.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    I used to be a powerbuilder programmer... piping data back n forth, tinkering with odbc settings. :P

    Here in the pinas eh nagkalat ang mga SCJP's ( Sun Certified Java Pogi's este programmers ). Iilan lang ang .NET peeps.

    Sometimes supply and demand can work to your advantage.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tsk. i have just proven that even experts have career-path dilemmas.

    is that programming?? (delivered in the most coñotic voice possible, ala señorito ako)

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Char said…

    Basta, anger leads to hate. :)

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since you're already an Oracle database expert, concentrate and expand your knowledge on that domain. Open source technology is becoming a powerful force in IT and it will be an added bonus if can master Oracle on Linux, or perhaps study and master other open source database technologies such as PostgreSQL.

    Remember, the only constant thing in this world is change :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home