Zugschwang - "a compulsion to move"

Friday, January 13, 2006

Kitchen Prodigy

Today marks my 2nd month stay in NZ ! Time flies indeed. I spent my first christmas and new year, outside the pinas, here in wellington. We've been getting nice weather here..6 out of 7 days a week... ganito pala ang summertime dito ! Parang baguio pero malamig pa ng kaunti !

I'm proud to say than in my 2 months stay here, I have always prepared my own breakfast and lunch. I started making sandwiches before going to work initially, did it for 2 weeks... lost a lot of weight !! I'm not a sandwich/bread type of person, even in manila i preferred rice+ulam for breakfast.

The main reason for preparing my own food is its really cheaper to bring-your-own-baon. Lunch or Dinner will cost you 7-10 nzd ,burger joints being the cheapest. Other sandwiches can be 3-4 nzd but the serving/volume is ideal for breakfast only. So In a day you could spend like 25 nzd x 7 days = 175 nzd/week.

Then I figured, since I'd be frying the cold cuts why not fry pork/chicken/lamb/beef instead ? On the start of my 3rd week, I bought some pre marinated lamb shoulder chops. Not a bad start.

The art of frying

On the 4th week I tried chicken. My mother taught me: High heat for fish so the skin will not stick to the kawali (non teflon) and low to medium heat for chicken so the inside will cook and the outerpart doesn't overcook.I got the chicken frying thing figured out on the 4th day.... Days 1,2 &3 the inisdes were slightly raw. Good thing there is microwave in my office.

The Adobo incident

Prior to coming to welly, my wife was insistent that I bring some pinoy recipe books to NZ. She said, it will be one of the few things that will remind me of home. She was right.

Having 4 weeks of solid kitchen experience under my belt I decided that its time for me to actually cook. Adobo sounded easy enough, browsed through the book and found the recipe on page 1.

Ingredients were readily available (dahon ng laurel= bay leaves ). Went shopping the following day to look for Vinegar. Bought this australian made vinegar and soy sauce ('Basic' brand), pork and some chicken. Easy-peasy-Japaneasy !

Started cooking, 30 mins into it and everything looked right and smelled right. Come tasting time something wasn't quite right. Hmmmm.... Is it me or does my adobo taste like battery fluid ??

To be certain, I asked my ex-cop flatmate (Manila's Finest) to taste my adobo. One look at my flatmate and you can tell that he's a tough guy. You can actually tell from his expression that his tastebuds were violated as he politely tried not to spit out my adobo.

I asked him.. "Adobo-con-motolite ba ?" he nodded, went away and didnt speak to me for the rest of the night. I was right ! Battery fluid like indeed. Torture grade recipe... Hitler would've been proud. I wonder if i can sell my recipe to the CIA, NBI.

Cooking 911

Fortunately, My other flatmate remedied my adobo and it actually became edible.

Stubborn, I bought another batch of chicken and cooked adobo again.. slightly altering my ingredients I bought Asian Vinegar and Soy sauce this time. Success was inevitable it Looked right, smelled right and tasted right.

Having a high cooking morale I decided to do something else. My beef mechado I got it right on the first try. I've been having mechado for two days already and that will be my breakfast tomorrow.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol!!! very funny experience senor! And now you are becoming a good cook. What about cleaning your flat? :-))

    Glad to know everything's A-ok. Keep it up!

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Sassafras said…

    hihihihi :)
    buti di ka tinanong ng flatmates mo kung pano mo nalaman kung ano ang lasa ng motolite... :p

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    hahaha. i think you will be a successful cook. you don't give up easily, di katulad ko. try mo next time yung mga mama-sita instant mix. doesn't taste like the original but at least edible at hindi lasang battery fluid. :D

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Jovs said…

    Yayyy! Galing galing naman ni Vino!!! True - on bringing food to work. I do that too. And you eat healthier meals like that, since you know what you've put in the food. =) Keep up the good work! Happy New Year!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    Hello Peeps... mahal ang mga instant mixes din dito mga 2.xx nzd eh yung 8 pc chicken ko mga 8.32 nzd lang eh. :)

    Pero yan na nga yung next kong susubukan yung mga instant curry mixes. They do have coconut milk in can (gata) malaysian brand Ayam (which means chicken in Malaysia). So it should be OK i guess.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home