Zugschwang - "a compulsion to move"

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Google Earth

Last week, two of my colleague were discussing about some 'bakasyon' spots here in NZ, specifically natural springs. Went over and I saw them using google earth (11mb). It was almost 5 pm and I wasn't busy.

As soon as I got back to my workstation I downloaded me a copy. Initially had trouble with some network settings but I got it to work after some minor fiddling.

Now that it's up and running... where to go ?? As I entered 'Manila' in its search box the earth's image so elegantly turned to the Philippines, drilled down to Luzon. I could see Laguna bay and finally Manila. Google presented me with a 900 ft above the ground (ofcourse) view of Manila. After a couple of minutes of staring at the view I could already identify the streets and some familiar edifices.

What I didn't expect was the sudden rush of homesickness. Goddamnit... I missed Manila, I missed Quiapo. I had to fight the tears off of my eyes (talaga). And after I regained some level of composure I began to search for my 'hood'. I could've sworn that I saw 'budoy' and 'bruce lee' peddling stolen fire extinguishers pa rin.. mga tol tigilan nyo na yan !! Mas malaki ang kita ng nakaw na cellphones tol. :^P

I distinctly remember 1 year ago that I was cursing Manila. I was sick and tired of the hot and humid weather, the painful commutes and the 'get comfy with fellow passengers' MRT blues. I'd usually tell myself that If I was to get out of this 'dump', I won't be looking back.. NEVAAAH (never), and a big Adios to Quiapo/Divisoria as well.

Barely a year away and my tune have changed. I eagerly marked the ayala bridge, Legarda (Nepumoceno na ngayon), some universities in recto and the historically significant plaza Miranda.

Some recollection of my usual weekend activities... Me and my siblings mall-scapades and trips to cartimar (pasay) fish shops. Ongpin food tripping with my wife and grocery shopping with me Mum (Happy 60th bday!). I still know Manila's ins and outs.

Logic, reason and a leaking washing machine got a hold of me before I booked a flight back to my Manila.

Sabi ni konsensya: "Umuwi ka na at maglaba !"

I just got here, madaming gastusin pa at marami pang dapat na iintindihin at asikasuhin. Saka na siguro.... best not to download and install google earth at home muna.

Mahal din ang fares 1.2-1.8k NZD, Ibenta ko kaya yung isang gitara ko ? :)
---
Removed

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger SeƱor Enrique said…

    Ay talaga, Senorito. Despite the traffic jams and now the wet season and some flooding, I love Manila and haven't missed NYC, yet.

    Don't worry, before you know it you'll be flying back to visit your hood :)

    BTW, you're a mediocre blues guitarist did you say? With only four chords how could you be a mediocre bluesman? hehehe.

    Seriously, I love blues -- simple but incredibly powerful music!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Senorito<- Ako said…

    I used to love the blues... from robert johnson to johnny lang :)

    Thanks for dropping by btw.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger Ka Uro said…

    ma-download din nga ang google earth. thanks for this tip

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Any given madness said…

    I place is never just a place noh. I miss my old university that i took a day off from work just to go there. I just walked around.

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Any given madness said…

    Anh oh, I'll add you as a link to mine. I hope you dont mind.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jovs said…

    Tol, baka naman hindi na matiis ni Mr Conrado ang pag-gaya mo sa boses nya kaya bumigay na. =p

    How's Sass & Raya?

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger KJS said…

    There is a similar aeriel view of Bermuda at http://www.lookbermuda.com/PhotoMap/LookMapViewer.html ... I lived there during four years of my childhood as a military brat. When I zoomed in on images from that satellite photo, I was also struck with homesickness. I often wish I could hold on to certain moments and time as much as I wish I could hold on to places.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger KJS said…

    Thanks for the comment! Maybe you could write a song about it!

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger KJS said…

    I know this has nothing to do with your current blog topic, but regarding the comment you left on my blog ... I, too, despise Dubya. He may easily go down in history as the worst president the U.S. has ever had.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home